Iowa law only requires districts to transport K-8 students that live more than two miles from the school designated for attendance and 9-12 students that live more than three miles from the school designated for attendance. ADM provides transportation for students well beyond the minimum requirement of the law. However, not all students are eligible for transportation to and from school.
In an effort to reduce bus ridership to reduce transportation costs and respond to the challenges of hiring bus drivers, ADM has implemented the walk zones linked below. Students who live in identified walk zone are ineligible for bus transportation to and from school. The walk zones are well within the legal requirements, with ADM continuing to provide transportation to significantly more students than legally required.
The following document has been created to provide ADM families with clear answers to common questions about ADM transportation procedures and practices.
The following page of our website provides parents with information about school start times, end times, and information about when students can be dropped off at and picked up from buildings. This information may be helpful as families work to determine how students will get to and from school during the school year.
View Student Bus Route Information
In the past, ADM families used Infinite Campus to view all route information. Starting with the 2021-22 school year, ADM families will now use Traversa Ride 360. Traversa Ride 360 can be accessed the following ways:
|Traversa 360 Website||Traversa 360 Mobile App|
Students living in the following walk zones are not eligible for ADM bus transportation to and from school.
- Adel Elementary Walk Zone (PS-1): View Interactive Map | View PDF Map
- Meadow View Elementary Walk Zone(2-4): View Interactive Map | View PDF Map
- DeSoto Intermediate Walk Zone (5-6): View Interactive Map | View PDF Map
- ADM Middle School/High School Walk Zone (7-12): View Interactive Map | View PDF Map
Bus Routes and Stops
Bus stop placements are determined by the Transportation Department and are based on established criteria.
- Riders are required to use the assigned neighborhood or residence bus stop. Riders may not board or exit a bus at a school building other than the one the Rider attends.
- Current riders may or may not be assigned to the same stop used in previous years.
- Riders will be assigned a bus stop determined by one address for AM and one address for the PM.
- Multiple pick up and drop off locations cannot be assigned for different days of the week.
- Routes are finalized in late summer.
- Under the State of Iowa code #285.1-4: Districts are not required to maintain seating space on school buses for students, if the students do not or will not regularly utilize the Districts transportation service for extended periods during the school year.
All students who will receive bus transportation services must be registered via Infinite Campus Online Registration. Registration is necessary in order to:
- secure a seat on the bus for the student
- generate a bus pass that must be presented to the bus driver
- ensure that pickup/drop off locations will be convenient
- improve route-planning and equipment allocation efficiency
- promote safety by ensuring that bus rosters are up-to-date at all times
Once a student has been registered for Transportation using the online school registration process, any changes to your student’s Transportation information should be communicated using the “Transportation Changes” form.
Transportation changes are likely to include the following scenarios:
- You indicated the need for bus transportation for your child during online registration, and your child is eligible, but your child will no longer ride the bus to school.
- You DID NOT indicate the need for bus transportation during online registration, but now your child needs to ride the bus to school.
- The location where your child is to be picked up or dropped off is changing.
- Your child stopped riding the bus earlier this year, but now needs to start riding the bus again.
Hard Surface Bus Route Plan:
The ADM Community School District has developed an emergency hard surface route plan. The purpose of this plan is to provide a bus transportation system on days when it is not possible to run the buses on gravel roads. In situations such as drifted or icy country gravel roads, or soft surface gravel roads, this plan will be implemented. When implemented, an announcement of the Emergency Hard Surface Route plan will be made via the district messenger system.
ADM Bus Garage
1608 Grove Street
Adel, Iowa 50003