Gifted and Talented Education (GATE)
Adel DeSoto Minburn’s Gifted and Talented Education (GATE) program seeks to recognize and develop talents in advanced-level learners. Gifted and Talented students in the Adel DeSoto Minburn School District have academic, social-emotional, and individual needs from kindergarten through graduation. The district fully supports our K-12 GATE students through an engaging and rigorous curriculum and instruction designed to adapt to changing student needs as they grow and develop.
GATE Program Mission: We commit to providing challenging and engaging experiences and opportunities for academic and affective growth that enable all identified gifted students to develop to their potential.
GATE Program Goals: The following goals will serve as the foundation to guide the development and delivery of the gifted and talented program:
- Student Academic Goal:
- Increase students’ academic achievement through challenging instruction in literacy and mathematics at a pace, depth, and level of complexity appropriate to the capabilities of the gifted student.
- Individualization Goal:
- Engage in individualized learning opportunities in response to students’ strengths and interests
- Student Social/Emotional Goal:
- Develop students’ understanding of their social, emotional, and school success skills in relation to their giftedness.
GATE Student Goals: ADM ‘s GATE student goals are based on the Six Gifted Education Programming Standards as established by the National Association for Gifted Children (NAGC).
- Develop life-long autonomous learner skills
- Demonstrate higher order thinking skills including critical thinking, logical thinking, creative thinking, problem-solving, applications, synthesis, and evaluation
- Explore career possibilities
- Develop and apply research, communication, and collaboration skills
- Develop original work based on student abilities and interests
- Broaden exposure and civic responsibility through cultural and service events
- Persist in developing their capacities.
- Acquire specific affective and personal growth skills needed to operate at their potential level
- Realize educational opportunities through differentiated curriculum based on individual needs