Notice of Rights – Section 504
The Adel DeSoto Minburn Community School District does not impermissibly discriminate in its educational programs and activities on the basis of a student’s disability, in accordance with applicable law. It has been determined that your child has a qualifying disability for which accommodations may need to be made to meet his or her individual needs as adequately as the needs of other students. As a parent, you have the right to the following:
- participation of your child in school district programs and activities, including extracurricular programs and activities, to the maximum extent appropriate, free of discrimination based the student’s disability and at the same level as students without disabilities;
- receipt of free educational services to the extent they are provided students without disabilities:
- receipt of information about your child and your child’s educational programs and activities in your native language;
- notice of identification of your child as having a qualifying disability for which accommodations may need to be made and notice prior to evaluation and placement of your child and right to periodically request a re-evaluation of your child;
- inspect and review your child’s educational records including a right to copy those records for a reasonable fee; you also have a right to ask the school district to amend your child’s educational records if you feel the information in the records is misleading or inaccurate; should the school district refuse to amend the records, you have a right to a hearing and to place an explanatory letter in your child’s file explaining why you feel the records are misleading or inaccurate;
- hearing before an impartial hearing officer if you disagree with your child’s evaluation or placement; you have a right to counsel at the hearing and have the decision of the impartial hearing officer reviewed.
Inquiries concerning the school district’s compliance with the regulations implementing Title VI, Title VII, Title IX, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), § 504 or Iowa Code § 280.3 should be directed to:
Matt Lohmann, Assistant Principal, 801 Nile Kinnick Dr. S., Adel, IA 50003, 515-993-4584, firstname.lastname@example.org and/or Amy Hemphill, Principal, 317 Spruce, DeSoto, IA 50069, 515-834-2424, email@example.com.
who have been designated by the school district to coordinate the school district’s efforts to comply with the regulations implementing Title VI, Title VII, Title IX, the ADA, § 504 and Iowa Code § 280.3.