There are many ways to be involved at Adel Elementary:
In the classroom or building these could include:
- Open House: parents and students are given the opportunity to meet their teacher, drop off supplies, and learn about the upcoming year’s expectations.
- Parent Visit: after the first month of school parents are welcomed into the classroom for the afternoon to enjoy a snack with their child while learning about what a typical day in Prek looks like.
- Sight Word Practice: review word cards.
- Rereading Guided Reading Books: working 1:1 to reread an independent level text to focus on fluency or comprehension.
- Tiger Troop: Tiger Troop volunteers work with students on a variety of reading, writing, and math activities.
- Reading Club: Adel Elementary provides a weekly opportunity for students to listen to a book that is read aloud by a parent volunteer. The Prekindergarten/Kindergarten reader comes at the start of lunch recess on Monday. If you are interested in being a reading club volunteer, contact Tiffany Graham at Adel Elementary by email (email@example.com) or by phone at 515.993.4285.
- Watch D.O.G.S: This program encourages fathers, grandfathers, and uncles of Adel Elementary to volunteer to spend the day at the school serving as a positive role model. The volunteers spend time on the playground, in the lunchroom, and helping in classrooms. If you are interested in volunteering, please contact Amy Goos at 515.993.4285.
- Star Student: every child is given a chance to be recognized for his or her academic or social success. Parents, families, and friends are invited to come and celebrate with the child.
- Muffins for Moms: moms or a special friend are invited to enjoy a muffin with their child.
- Donuts for Dads: dads or a special friend are invited to enjoy a donut with their child.
- Field Trips: students enjoy a trip to the Science Center and Blank Park Zoo. Parents or a special friend are welcome to join us on this field trip.
- Prek Informance: In May, parents are invited to join us for a musical celebration. Mrs. Pfrimmer performs many songs that have been learned throughout the year.
- Classroom Parties: we have a Fall, Winter, and Valentine’s Day party that parents are welcome to sponsor by providing treats, drinks, and paper goods. The sign up is at Open House.
At home these include:
- Reading 20 minutes a night with your child
- Sight word practice
- Sponsoring a classroom magazine to use as mentor texts
- Making blank books for Writer’s Workshop
- PACT (Parents And Child Together): Our Parent and Child Together (PACT) committee has monthly meetings that focus on educational topics and activities that support our students and teachers. All Adel Elementary parents are invited to attend. If you are interested in learning the date of the next meeting, please contact Tiffany Graham at Adel Elementary by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or by phone at 515.993.4285.