The following is a summary of the daily reading components:
- Guided Reading: small group instruction based on student needs.
- Reader’s Workshop: whole group instruction with an in-depth focus on how reading works.
- Read Aloud: the teacher reads literature to the students modeling strategies with a focus on comprehension.
- Shared Reading: the teacher and students participate in reading an enlarged text.
- Independent Reading: students read literature of their choice at their independent level to practice fluent and phrased reading.
|Units of Study|
|Building a Reading Life|
|How Readers Respond to Their Reading Through Writing|
|Road Map of Fiction|
|Interpretation of Illustrations in Fiction and Nonfiction|
|Determine Central Message, Lesson, or Moral of Story|
|Compare & Contrast Different Versions of the Same Story|
|Identifying the Main Purpose of a Text|
|Asking & Answering Questions Within Fiction and Nonfiction|
|Compare & Contrast Two Texts on the Same Topic|
|Literature Discussion Groups|