ADM families are encouraged to provide students with transportation to and from school to reduce capacity levels on buses. In previous years, ADM has transported all students in the district regardless of the distance from their home to school. However, Iowa law only legally requires districts to transport K-8 students that live more than two miles from the school designated for attendance and 9-12 students that live more than three miles from the school designated for attendance.
In an effort to reduce bus ridership and occupancy of 2 students to a seat to the greatest extent possible, ADM has implemented the walk zones linked below. The walk zones are well within the legal requirements, with ADM continuing to provide transportation to significantly more students than legally required.
Students living in the following walk zones are not eligible for ADM bus transportation to and from school.
Transportation Frequently Asked Questions For The 2020-21 School Year
Please use the following document to review answers to common questions about transportation during the 2020-21 school year and specific questions about the impact of walk zones.
All students who will receive bus transportation services must be registered via Infinite Campus Online Registration. Registration is necessary in order to:
- secure a seat on the bus for the student
- generate a bus pass that must be presented to the bus driver
- ensure that pickup/drop off locations will be convenient
- improve route-planning and equipment allocation efficiency
- promote safety by ensuring that bus rosters are up-to-date at all times
Once a student has been registered for Transportation using the online school registration process, any changes to your student’s Transportation information should be communicated using the “Transportation Changes” form.
Transportation changes are likely to include the following scenarios:
- You indicated the need for bus transportation for your child during online registration, and your child is eligible, but your child will no longer ride the bus to school.
- You DID NOT indicate the need for bus transportation during online registration, but now your child needs to ride the bus to school.
- The location where your child is to be picked up or dropped off is changing.
- Your child stopped riding the bus earlier this year, but now needs to start riding the bus again.
Bus Routes and Stops
- Bus stop placements are determined by the Transportation Department, and are based on established criteria.
- Current riders may or may not be assigned to the same stop used in previous years.
- Riders will be assigned a bus stop determined by one address for AM and one address for the PM.
- Multiple pick up and drop off locations cannot be assigned for different days of the week.
- Riders are required to carry a bus pass for boarding the bus.
- Bus passes will be distributed at open house.
- Routes are finalized in late summer.
- Parents are notified about stop location(s) and time(s) in August through Infinite Campus or at open house.
- Bus stop locations and times can be accessed via the Infinite Campus portal by clicking the Transportation tab for each child.
- Under the State of Iowa code #285.1-4: Districts are not required to maintain seating space on school buses for students, if the students do not or will not regularly utilize the Districts transportation service for extended periods during the school year.
Bus Pass Acronyms:
- Minburn Elementary – ME
- Adel Elementary – AE
- DeSoto Intermediate – DI
- Middle School – MHS
- High School – MHS
- District Administration Center – DAC (Previously Old Middle School – OMS)
- Kids Korner Two – KK2
Hard Surface Bus Route Plan:
The ADM Community School District has developed an emergency hard surface route plan. The purpose of this plan is to provide a bus transportation system on days when it is not possible to run the buses on gravel roads. In situations such as drifted or icy country gravel roads, or soft surface gravel roads, this plan will be implemented. When implemented, an announcement of the Emergency Hard Surface Route plan will be made via the district messenger system.
ADM Bus Garage
1608 Grove Street
Adel, Iowa 50003